What is the Wee Connect Campaign?
In 2023, the Mono County Libraries is launching the Wee Connect Campaign to help you better connect with other families and resources, specifically families with young children aged 0-5. As trusted, welcoming and helpful spaces, the 7 Mono County library locations will become one of your go-to spots to learn about the free services available to families with young children. After all, as librarians we are happiest when we can connect you to helpful resources!
This project was supported in whole or in part by funding provided by the state of California, administered by the California State Library.
As part of the Wee Connect Campaign, each of our 7 county library sites are enhancing their children’s sections! You’ll notice new furniture & decor, new shelving and possibly new early learning toys. These changes will look different from library to library because they were made with your children in mind, with the goal of bettering their experience at their local library.
Each library site will also be adding an Information Station to its children’s library. The Information Station intends to bring together resources & contact information from various organizations and agencies across Mono County that provide services & supplies to families with children 0-5. It can also be used as a community board for programs for this age group.
- Safe Kids Mono – A collaboration of agencies and businesses that provide education and supplies to keep your little ones safe! Safe Kids supplies & resources are now available for free at each of the Mono County Library branches.
- Safe Kids Supplies - car seats, gun locks, Safety Kits, electrical outlet covers, corner bumpers, helmets. Note: If you need a car seat, please click here or scan the QR code on the flyer to the right to make an appointment with a Mono County Car Seat Tech.
- First 5 Mono – An organization that is “dedicated to improving the lives of young children & their families through a comprehensive system of education, health services, childcare and other crucial programs.” One of the services provided to Mono County residents through First 5 Mono is the Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) developmental screening tool, which is now accessible at any of the Mono County Library sites!
- Interested in a screening for your child? Simply ask a librarian and they’ll be able to walk you through an electronic screening or provide you with a paper copy. Electronic forms are submitted directly to First 5 Mono; paper copies will be provided with a pre-stamped, pre-addressed envelope addressed for you to mail directly to First 5 Mono.
- First 5 Mono will reach out to you within 2 weeks after submitting your ASQ.
- Mono County Public Health – An agency that provides services that supports the health and safety of Mono County residents and visitors via various programs. In collaboration between the Local Oral Health and Women, Infants & Children (WIC) programs, free dental hygiene bags (babies, PreK) are available for pick up at your local library!
- Dental hygiene bags include age-appropriate toothbrush, toothpaste, storybook, trainer cup, and information on healthy foods to support oral health.
Early Learning Programs
Libraries play an important role in supporting parents/caregivers and children on their journey to school readiness. Our early learning programs demonstrate and encourage early language development, fine & gross motor skills, executive function & early literacy skills. The Wee Connect Campaign is adding to our early learning programs!
- Itty Bitty Rhyme Time - Fridays @ 10:30 at the Mammoth Lakes Library
- Offered in collaboration with First 5 Mono, this program is designed to engage our youngest library patrons aged 0-24 months with a short circle time of songs, fingerplays and rhymes followed by a story. After circle time we enjoy free play in our Children’s Program Room.
- MiniMaker Cart – Available for use at the Mammoth Lakes Library
- Looking for some supplies & space to let your little one(s) get creative? Check out our MiniMaker Cart and start making with your child in our Children’s Program Room today! Just ask at the Mammoth Lakes Library circulation desk. Ideal for kiddos 12 months - Kindergarten. Note: This program is not supervised by library programming staff. Patrons will be asked to sign a Parental Agreement Form in order to participate in this program.