Use this section to find library programs and volunteer opportunities for teens and Young Adults, as well as additional resources and links to external websites and recommended reading lists. Click here for Chidren.
New at the Library
We are super excited to announce the launch of an after-school program for just for you! Check out the Evolution of Storytelling Project below!
Also, the Mammoth Lakes Library has separated our Young Adult titles from our Youth collection! Let's face it -- as older teens, you're simply on a different level than tweens, and it's about time you get your own section at the library. Pass by and check out the many new title that have been added to the YA collection (a huge THANK YOU to the Mammoth Lakes Friends of the Library for their generous contribution!)
Evolution of Storytelling Project
Mono County Libraries is proud to launch the Evolution of Storytelling Project. This project is funded through the Shared Vision Grant, sponsored by the CA State Library, and it will run from September 2020 - August 2022. In a nutshell -- join peers and Teaching Artists througout Mono County to learn about the history and art of storytelling. Not only will you walk away with a greater understanding and appreciation for storytelling, but you'll also learn specific techniques for how to craft and shape your own stories. #TellYourStory #OwnVoices
Did you know that you have your very own Youth Librarian at the Mono County Libraries? You might know her as "that lady from the library," but she also goes by Carissa, and she's here to help you make the most out of your public library! Yes, we have books and DVDs for you to check out and computers to use, but that is just the tip of the iceberg. The public library is public space, which means it's also your space! So if you have an interest or a hobby that you'd like to expand and share with others, reach out and start a conversation. Carissa is always happy to chat with you about how we might bring your idea to life.
The public library is a great place to volunteer -- the possibilities are endless! Contact your Youth Librarian (contact info above) for more detailed information.
- Help create a Teen Advisory Board. Meet once a month to help recommend books for our collection, create displays for your peers, create online content for website or social media, not to mention consider how to improve and promote other programs.
- Tutor younger students in a subject of your choice.
- Share your passion by creating a club that younger kids can join.
Book Sites for Young Adults
- No Flying No Tights - Graphic novel news & reviews
- TeachingBooks.net - Use your Mono County library card to log in and find information on children's and young adult titles, authors, program ideas, as well as information for reading assignments and book reports.
- TeachingBooks Diverse Book Toolkit
- Wattpad - "The world's most loved social storytelling platform."
- Book Connections Collection for Young Adults (English & Español)
Reading Lists for Young Adults
- Accelerated Reader Bookfinder
- Rainbow Books List
- Teens Top Ten
- Young Adult Choices Chosen by Young Adults
- Teacher's Choices Chosen by teachers
- YALSA Teen Book Finder
- Alex Awards 10 books written for adults that have unique appeals for teens.
- Printz Award award for a book that exemplifies literary excellence in young adult literature.
- American Indian Youth Literature Award from the American Indian Library Association
Young Adult Podcasts:
Mono County Library Booklists by Subjects
- Young Adult Graphic Novels
- Women's Rights & Feminism
- Anxiety is Real!
- Who's You? - Books on Identity