Policy and Procedures Manual AR 1138
Mono County Board of Education Gift Library Materials
GIFT LIBRARY MATERIALS
A. LIBRARY MATERIALS
- Library materials include but are not limited to hardback and paperback books, microforms, pamphlets, brochures, magazines, recordings, films, filmstrips, cassettes, etc.
- Library materials also include paintings, sculptures, mounted specimen, artifacts, etc.
B. CONDITIONS FOR ACCEPTANCE OF LIBRARY MATERIALS
- The President of the Mono County Friends of the Library shall be a regular member of the committee.
- The materials must be an outright gift.
- Materials not useful to one branch may be disposed if by the Friends of the Library or returned to the donor if so stipulated at the time the gift is made.
- Materials not useful to one branch may be transferred to another branch or donated to local institutions such as hospitals, youth camps, jails, etc.
C. FRIENDS OF THE LIBRARY
- All library gift materials for the Mono County Library System be deposited with the local chapter of the Friends of the Library or the Mono County Chapter of the Friends of the Library.
- Title to all materials shall remain with the Friends of the Library until materials are transferred to the Mono County Library System, or otherwise disposed of.
- The Friends of the Library shall provide each donor with a letter acknowledging the number and type of items given to them for the library. The letter shall be prepared according to the Internal Revenue Service specifications.
- Records shall be maintained of the number and types of gift library materials for which no donor is identified.
D. TRANSFER OF GIFT LIBRARY MATERIALS TO COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
- The local branch librarian, or librarian in charge, shall evaluate the gift materials and, with the approval of the county librarian, select those materials suitable for addition to the branch library collection.
- The county librarian shall evaluate the balance of the materials, and with the assistance of the branch librarians, select materials suitable for other branch libraries.
- Paperback books shall be evaluated and selected by the branch librarians for addition to their “Bring One, Take One” collections.
- All materials not added to the county library system shall be sold, or otherwise disposed of by the Friends of the Library.
E. MATERIALS ADDED TO THE COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
Lists of gift library materials to be cataloged and added to the Mono County Library System shall be prepared and presented to the Mono County Library Authority for approval.