An all-volunteer Tax-Aide program will be operating during tax season in the Ellie Randol Reading Room at the Mammoth Library. The program is a partnership between the AARP Tax-Aide Foundation and the Mammoth Lakes Library. It offers free tax help, preparation, and e-filing during February, March, and April through the end of tax season on April 15th. The program operates on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday afternoons from 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.
Call Sue at (760) 934-5674 for an appointment. Drop-ins are also welcome. Priority is given to those with appointments. Spanish speaking appointment can be made by calling Terri at (760) 924-3033.
What to bring when you visit our Tax-Aide site:
– Social security cards or ITIN documents for yourself and your dependents and a Picture ID
– Tax statements; W-2 forms, 1099-G (unemployment), SSA-1099, 1099-R, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-MISC, broker statements, etc.
– Medical insurance information for all persons on the tax return, including form 1095-A if insurance purchased through Covered California
– If direct deposit desired, bring account information (routing and acct no)
– Copy of last year’s income tax return (if available)
– Child care provider information (name, provider’s SSN or EIN, address, and phone)
- If itemizing deductions, bring past 2 years property tax bills, form 1098 for mortgage interest, DMV statement or car registration, medical expenses, charitable deductions, new care invoice, etc.
About AARP Tax Help
The Mammoth Library Tax-Aide site has six computers and eleven volunteers (two Spanish speaking). Last year, over 500 tax returns were prepared and filed. These volunteers help people with a wide variety of tax situations, including various forms of income, unemployment, education credits, earned income credit, child tax credit, dependent care deductions, renters credit, itemized deductions, investment sales, and small businesses (that do not have a loss, depreciation, or expenses exceeding $25,000).